Fisher or trapper - Stardew Valley
You need to choose either fisher or trapper when you reach level 5 on your fishing skill.
Which profession is better?
Fisher vs trapper
The fisher path :
- Fisher (level 5) - fish is worth 25% more
- Angler (level 10) - fish is worth 50% more
- Pirate (level 10) - chance to find treasure doubled
The trapper path :
- Trapper (level 5) - resources required to craft crab pots reduced
- Mariner (level 10) - crab pots no longer produce junk items
- Luremaster (level 10) - crab pots no longer require bait
Which is better?
The decision here is easy. Do you like the fishing minigame?
I like it myself. I find fishing very relaxing and I like the feeling of getting surprises from treasure chests. I even chose the river farm to get an easier access to fishing.
If you’re that way too, you should go fisher. It will greatly improve your fishing income.
On the other hand, you should choose the trapper path if don’t like fishing and plan on using many crab pots. Crab pots are a crafting item that fill up over time (one day), a bit like a tapper or a keg. But with a fair chance of getting trash items.
A lot of players hate the fishing minigame and for them, the trapper path makes way more sense. Crab pots require a lot less materials to craft with it, so you can easily craft a bunch and just go pickup your shellfish from time to time.
Better choice: both are good.